Sunday, November 2, 2014

Run Nona 5k

My motivation to run this past month has been less than enthusiastic. I would rather watch "Honey Boo Boo" on repeat than get up a second before I have to each morning. As I've said on this blog before, I've tried for years to become a morning person. Alarms, coffee, cold water, planning outfits the night before, not eating after 7 pm...? They've all failed me. So when I'm not really into running, the mornings are even worse. Instead of fighting them, I've caved in to their power. I haven't seen my running group in a month or so and I can't say I've missed it. That sounds horrible. What I meant to say is I don't give a darn. Dang, I did it again.

So what do you do when you're down on running? Sign up for a 5k of course! A while ago one of my running buddies, Anna, suggested we do the Run Nona 5k Run at Night. She organized a team for Doctors Without Borders, called Florida Health Defenders. The mission of the team was to raise awareness and funds for Florida residents who aren't covered by Medicaid due to coverage gaps and also to raise enrollment for the Health Care Marketplace. So I signed up to be a part of the team for the sake of healthcare. Also there was food and beer. 

The weather was fantastic. It was 58ish degrees and windy as heck...I was in heaven. If I could run a half in this weather I would PR, I just know it. However, everyone else was cold. The race began at 6:00 pm so as the sun set, the air got colder. We decided to power walk the race, enjoy the scenery and get updates on the Gator game online. It was glorious. Perfect weather, great friends, a Gator win, and delicious food and beer after the race. I'm not going to say it restored my desire to run again but it was definitely a good night. 

And yes, that is Grant Hill eating nachos at the start line. Best. Celebrity. Sighting. Ever. (Besides that time I saw Margaret Cho in San Francisco. That was amaze balls)

No comments:

Post a Comment