Sunday, July 20, 2014

2 1/2 Years & Feeling...WAIT. What Was That?!

This week I will celebrate my 2 1/2 year anniversary with Stewart the Stent. This past week I thought about how long it has been since I've been concerned about my heart. I mean, I lost my nitro spray (old purse maybe?) and I have been running without it this session. That's a huge step for someone who wouldn't leave home without it the last 2 years. So I can already tell that I'm weaning myself off of the constant panic and paranoia. Or so I thought.

Friday night I was minding my business, cleaning the house and watching mindless entertainment on Hulu when out of nowhere I got a pain in my chest. A sharp, stabbing pain on the left side. It was quick, but it definitely took my breath away. I figured I had moved wrong so I kept going, throwing my laundry in the dryer. It continued. It hurt so badly that I had to sit down and take a moment. But it continued. It was the kind of pain that makes you panic a little bit because it is so sharp and painful that it can't just be a pulled muscle. Plus it's riiiiiiight where my heart is. 

When I had my heart attack, the pain was in the middle of my chest. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my sternum while a mop was being wrung out underneath it. Intense. This was not the same feeling but it still had me upset. I haven't had any chest pains for 2 years now. Weird fatigue? Yes. Weak body? Sure. But chest pains? Nope, definitely not.

When I had the heart attack I walked the dog and drove to the hospital. Again, it's a miracle I'm still alive. But I figured it worked for me last time so I walked Max, took a few aspirin, packed a quick bag and drove to the hospital. No, seriously. But as I was parking the pains stopped. I got out of my car, walked the parking garage ramps a few times to get my heart rate up, but nothing happened. Feeling like a moron, I headed home. Well, first I bought a smoothie since Kathleen told me an iced coffee would be asinine. Noted.

The next morning I got up to go running, figuring it was all a fluke and I might as well get my training in. But, as I was waking up the dreaded pains were back. Two of them. Then nothing. I went to my running group and we ended up walking 5 miles which I think was probably a wise decision. But, NO PAINS. Score. I headed to meet everyone for breakfast but had another chest zinger on the way there. I also felt like my chest was tight, but that could have been my paranoia which was building rapidly at this point. 

The breakfast club convinced me to put in a call to my cardiologist's office and when I finally got a call back the on-call doc said it was probably premature beats and to have some magnesium. So, a fistful of almonds and a 3 hour nap later, I was feeling better and I've only had one zinger since. The moral of the story? Having a chronic illness never goes away and always be on your toes. Also, have amazing friends that force you to call your doctor.♥

No comments:

Post a Comment