Friday, March 21, 2014

WORST Damn Race

My battle with fatigue continues. My times have been slow, my energy level is low and I crap out around 4-6 miles whether I'm running or walking. I feel like I'm throwing my entire body against a brick wall. It hurts. So what do you do when your body is shutting down on you? Sign up for a half marathon! GENIUS!

I signed up for the Orlando Best Damn Race awhile ago. I was really hoping that things would be better by March 1st. I could not have been further from the truth. However instead of surrendering my bib and living the spectator life, I strapped on my Nikes and chugged a Muscle Milk. Here I am at the start of the race with Amy and Jo. It should be said that these 2 are amazing. They stuck with me for the first 6 miles are so and then I couldn't torture them any longer and let them run ahead. This isn't my favorite pic in the world but it's the only one from this day worth posting. You'll find out why.


After 6 miles I felt like throwing in the towel. I was overheated, thirsty, exhausted and ready for a nap. But there was still 7 miles to go. I started walking...a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Like walking more than I was running. I tried walking fast, but I just didn't have the gas in the tank. I ate gu, I drank water, I even tried rocking out to Jay-Z. Nothing helped. Around 9 miles I saw Kathleen, Joe, Lina and Chris. They were motivating but it only lasted another mile or so. Kathleen and Joe even jumped in with me but by mile 10 I was walking the entire time. Kathleen and Joe met me around mile 11 and walked in with me. As I came around the corner and headed for the finish line I was miserable. I was boiling with anger and frustration. I barely even remember getting my medal because I had tears in my eyes after seeing the time clock. 3:04. After I got my medal I burst out into tears. The not-cute-when-you-cry kind. Yuck.

Now I know what you're thinking. 3:04 is 2 minutes faster than my St Pete time...I should be thrilled! Not so. Time is not the issue-how my body felt is. I felt crappy during St Pete, but I felt like I was falling apart during Best Damn Race.

So readers, I'm taking a break. No running for awhile. It has been a source of severe, crippling stress for me and I have enough of that in my life right now. That being said, I put my name in the drawing for the NYC Marathon back in December. I think that depending on what happens March 26th (the day of the raffle) I will figure out a way to ease my body back into running in a fun, productive way. Now back to my nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment