Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Guest Blog: They Call Me Mini

Please welcome a guest blog from a reader! His blog, They Call Me Mini, chronicles his emotional journey from a widow maker heart attack and cardiac arrest at 35. Check him out.

* * * *

Thankful, so very Thankful.

Those are the first words I posted on my Facebook the night I found out I had gone into Cardiac Arrest during my surgery to place one of two stents in my blocked artery.  This was 5 days after my Heart Attack.  I still await a second surgery.

I am Mark, a heart attack survivor at an age where we all feel we are still invincible.  I was 35, a runner, fairly healthy, ate decent (we all have our vices),  a former smoker, a guy with hypothyroidism and newly diagnosed with diabetes type 2.  I did have some factors but I thought I lead a life that would counteract these.  I was wrong.

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard

My thoughts in that moment were about things unsaid to others and this is where being thankful begins for me.

Experiencing a Heart Attack at 35 years old or any age for that matter you have so much to be thankful for.  Your life really has just begun and to have it taken almost taken away makes you appreciate what is to come.  Good or Bad.

As I move forward in my new life, the words Thank you and I love you will be said a lot more.  These are actually two of the hardest words in life for people to tell others and I sit here and wonder why.  They  can change so much around you.

Today I am thankful for a second chance at life, the people who surround me, support me, the opportunities I now will take hold of and rock!  I am also thankful for being who I am, perfectly imperfect.

The oddest thing you may read here is that I am thankful for my heart attack.  It taught me an invaluable lesson and after making more life changes I actually feel better physically than I have in years.  It is amazing how much a blockage can make you feel ill.


As we head into Heart Month, I encourage you to talk about heart health, hug a friend, thank them for being in your life and tell them you love them.  You may change their life and not even know it.



No comments:

Post a Comment