Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2 Years

"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" - Eleanor Roosevelt

2 years ago today I had a heart attack. I unknowingly clung to my chest on my couch, hoping that the pain would subside after 2 doctors told me I was fine. 2 years ago I knew absolutely zilch in the heart disease department. Today I can't tell whether I'm bitter or impressed that I know so much. 

This next week is going to be hard for me. Each day between the 21st and the 25th, I will remember what happened on each day of 2012.

Jan 21st/Sat: First heart attack, sent home from 2 different urgent care centers, no sleep
Jan 22nd/Sun: Suffering at home, terrified, no sleep
Jan 23rd/Mon: Went back to work, hurting all day, no sleep
Jan 24th/Tues: 2nd heart attack, drive myself to the ER
Jan 25th/Wed: Angioplasty, Stewart the Stent and I are introduced - BFFs for life

As I type this out, I am smiling. I know that these last couple of years could have been a pity party. I could use the heart attacks as an excuse to do nothing, be nothing, experience nothing. But that's not me. I'm the type of girl who continues running, continues breathing, continues living. All because I can. All because I am lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment