Saturday, November 30, 2013

Women's Running Series Half Marathon


So you might recall last year that I rocked the Women's Half Marathon in St Pete, FL. You might even remember that I PRed and almost killed myself doing it. This year went a little differently. First of all, my training this season has been ROUGH. I haven't felt well since August. I've been tired and my energy level has been painfully low. My longest run this season had been 8 miles and that was a rough day. So I wasn't expecting miracles from this race. I had 2 goals-1. not die & 2. finish. Reasonable, no?

Good morning! Geared up and ready to go!

Saw this on the sidewalk on my Starbucks run at 6 am. It literally translates into "for more information"…interpret as you'd like

Amy and I at the start

Amy was kind enough to stick with me through the first 9.5 miles. We started out nice and slow, even hitting a bathroom stop around 3 miles. I walked a few extra times, but things were going well. We hit another bathroom break around 8 miles and a quick spray of the SalonPas. At 9.5 I knew I needed to take it easy. I was getting dangerously tired, so I walked. Amy took off and I did the best I could to keep a decent walking pace. When 10.5 hit, I started running 1 and 1s with a few 3s thrown in for good measure. I managed to finish and not want to off myself…win! The time? Not great. In fact, it's my slowest half marathon time. But, I'm happy I was able to finish under these circumstances.
DONE!

It was windy. Cut me some slack on the hair. :)
Celebratory bubbly
She's done.
As always, this race will be both a motivator and a source of stress for me. It was the first race I ran after my heart attack and I'm pretty hard on myself. When will I learn that doing the best I can is enough? Probably never. Until then it is a work in progress.

Got my charm for this year & added it to the necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment