Monday, April 15, 2013

My Heart Is In Boston Today

Saturday I celebrated running and friends. I ran the Color Me Rad 5k for FUN. I was there to be with my amazing friends and to enjoy the feeling of running. I didn't run for time, I didn't run for a medal. I did it just because. I spent the rest of the day enjoying the tired feeling in my muscles. Yesterday I didn't work out, instead choosing to spend the day in bed, enjoying the down time before today's insanity.

This morning my students took the Math FCAT. For those of you who don't live in Florida, the FCAT is the huge state assessment. I have been stressed about it for weeks. My students, parents, and fellow teachers have been on edge and I have been drained every day. Today it finally happened. I don't think I can even explain how exhausted I was by 3:00 in the afternoon, after spending the day consoling students, reading manuals and crazy schedules. Then, the text came.

My friend Elie sent a text that said, "Who sets off explosions at the finish line of a race? If you know details, please share." I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, so I immediately got on CNN. There it was--the Boston tragedy. My heart, already heavy with the stress of the day, sank. I am absolutely heartbroken at what has occurred at the Boston Marathon.

Running is sacred. It has been something I have mourned, celebrated, stressed over, reveled in, dreamed about and cried over. When I had my heart attack my first lucid thought was about running. My happiest moment of last year was crossing the finish line at the Women's Half in St Pete. I've met the best friends of my life through Marathonfest. My life hasn't been the same since running. As much as I whine and complain about mornings, or lament aches and pains, my life wouldn't be complete without this sport. I can't explain it, but it has become a part of me. So my heart aches for Boston tonight. Tomorrow morning I will run while thinking of those who are suffering tonight, feeling lucky that my running family is safe and sound. I hope everyone reading this is as lucky as I am. ♥  
[Photo via unknown]

No comments:

Post a Comment