Sunday, March 31, 2013

Weight & My April Challenge

Let's have a quick ♥ to ♥ readers, no pun intended. A year and 2 months before my heart attack I turned 30. After taking a celebratory trip to Key West with friends, I looked at the pictures and was HORRIFIED. I was fat. I knew I was chunky but the pictures jolted me into a reality check. So the first thing I did was sign up for my first race-Warrior Dash on January 29th. Thank goodness I did because it set off my love for running and my path to better health. I've been an avid yoga lover for 10 years now and had a decent diet but I worked on portion control and stress relief. Over the course of 2011 I lost 28 lbs by running, logging my food, meditating and getting more sleep. Since the heart attack I've lost 11 more. My goal? Another 24. That would give me a total of 63 lbs since Key West and turning 30.

Sometimes I blame myself for the heart attack, since I've always been horrible with self-esteem and body issues. I've asked my cardiologist countless times if my extra weight contributed to what happened. It could have, but most likely I am a freak of nature in the medical world. Even more probable is the stress I had been experiencing. Anomaly status does not give me peace of mind however. I want to do everything I can possibly do to prevent further heart problems and to improve myself, head to toe.

Since these last 24 lbs aren't coming off very easily, I'm taking on a challenge for the month of April and also extending this challenge to you, my readers. I'm pledging to do something active each day of this month. Whether it's a walk, run, yoga session, or swim (ha, good one...I can't swim) let's all get out and be active. April is the most stressful month of the year for me, so I'm hoping this challenge will a.) combat the insane amount of cortisol pumping through my body & b.) help jumpstart a little weight loss. Plus, who doesn't love a good challenge? Post your activities in my comments section and let's get moving! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment