Saturday, October 27, 2012

Spoke Too Soon-Thanks Rosie O'Donnell & Dr. Oz!

So I wrote the last post all about my emotions balancing back out again, and along comes the party train that is The Dr Oz Show. Rosie O'Donnell was on Thursday and spoke about her recent heart attack. I figured it would only be a segment of the show, since that is usually the format. However, it was the entire hour, from her symptoms to stent. It never crossed my mind that I would have an emotional reaction like I did. Here's the kicker...her heart attack was the same as mind in almost every way. She had the extreme fatigue and the chest pain. She didn't call 911. She waited a day (I waited 4). She had a widow maker heart attack with a 99% blockage. She got a stent. She had a video of the procedure that looked identical to mine. So needless to say I started bawling my eyes out. I cried partly because it was all too real (darn you Dr. Oz and your purple gloves) and partly because I was so grateful for the first time. Dr. Oz kept telling Rosie O'Donnell that he had no idea why she was alive, because women don't survive these kinds of heart attacks. My focus for the past 9 months has been on "getting back to normal." As my therapist says, maybe it's time for a new normal. I'm never going to go back to how I viewed life before this experience. For the first time I feel extremely lucky, all thanks to Rosie O'Donnell. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment