Friday, February 3, 2012

Welcome! This Is My Story...

Just 3 months before my heart attacks I ran a half marathon. I lost 30 lbs. I flipped my dog in yoga. But here I am recovering from 2 heart attacks at age 31.
I had been abnormally tired for weeks. In fact, so tired that I tried to do an early morning run and fell, hurting my knee. In the process of nursing my knee back to health I also noticed that I developed a cyst on the back of my head. I stopped running, even slept 12 hours a night and nothing seemed to make a difference. Finally I was so frustrated with the fatigue that I broke down in the first 5 minutes of a run that I told myself I could do. I brought myself to an urgent care who ordered blood work and gave me a neurological consult and sent me home. That afternoon the chest pains began. I had a Sex and the City flashback to when Miranda said she was going to die alone and the cat would eat her face off, so I brought myself to another urgent care that night who gave me a mono test and an EKG. Since both came back fine, I was sent home again. The pain continued in waves for the next 2 days. I went to my job as a teacher, and went home to go back to sleep. The 4th day I was feeling slightly better until the drive home. Suddenly the pain was worse than before. Thinking it wasn't a heart attack, I walked the dog and drove myself to the ER. They did an EKG and a chest x-ray, saying I wasn't having a heart attack. It wasn't until my Troponin levels came back that anything was suspected. That night in the hospital I had a massive nose bleed and an abnormal EKG, prompting the cardiologist to do a cardiac catheterization. I will never forget the moment they found the blockage-silence in the room. Then, "she's only 31," "she's a runner," & "she has no risk factors." Not only did I have a heart attack, I had 2 and it was due to a 99% blockage in my LAD, aka the Widowmaker. I feel so incredibly lucky. I hope anyone reading this realizes that you don't have to have any of the risk factors to go through this but that a good lifestyle might mean the difference between life and death. I want to spread this message to my students, parents, co-workers, family and friends. Trust your instincts, follow your heart, have hope for the future. ♥
This is me on Oct 30, 2011 after finishing my 1st Half Marathon in Daytona, FL

4 comments:

  1. Key word: "first." I plan to be along for the ride on several more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found this blog through your Blogging for Good post. You've been through so much! Our stories are the same, but different, lol: I was misdiagnosed with bronchitis, you with mono; turns out I actually had pulmonary embolisms, you had heart attacks; I was only 32, you 31; I was at Florida Hospital, you at ORMC; my "Incident" was a month ago; yours six months ago (my full story is at my blog, if you're curious).

    We have running in common (and thus, the doctors' disbelief that such things could be happening to us, as our age and activity levels), so I'm going to find you on DM, if that's ok. Anywho, just wanted to say I'm glad you're doing better and maybe I'll see you at CFLBlogCon in a few weeks! ~Christine, www.randomhangers.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the comment! I would love to stay in touch! Your story is so interesting. I'll check out your blog. :) How did you like CFLBlogCon? :)

    ReplyDelete