Monday, February 20, 2012

They Tried To Make Me Go To Rehab & I Said No, No...Ok Fine

Today was my first day of cardiac rehab. Nervous doesn't even begin to describe it. Plus, 7:20 am?! It's been awhile since I've had an early morning workout.

Rehab started out with a numbers game...my weight, my measurements, my bp, my BMI, my heart rate, you name it. No stone was unturned. Turns out I'm pretty average...which was nice to hear. :) Then an hour with the nurse where I retold my story, went over all the data and set some goals for rehab. I have two goals - 1. get back to running and 2. lose a little more weight. Nothing crazy and completely attainable. Then I was hooked up to the monitor and had to sit 5 minutes to get my resting heart rate and blood pressure. An exercise physiologist put me on the treadmill and I did a mile at a 17:00 pace which is what Max has been helping me do the last 2 weeks. A little elliptical, a little bike, all while hooked up to the monitors. So the plan is rehab 2x a week and walking 2 miles on the off days. I might even get to run soon! I also got cleared for yoga, which made me super happy.

I knew I was going to be on the young side of the patients there, but I really stuck out like a sore thumb. Mostly everyone was older, male, and white, much like the cardiac floor in the hospital. There was one other older lady but we were the only females. I definitely got some looks (all kinds). I was also shocked at the varying levels of fitness. Some of the men were in shape and some were quite heavy. Some struggled and some flew on the elliptical. A few grumbled about their wives making them come, which made me chuckle.


So I conquered my first session. It was scary but inspiring. I feel strong, confident and hopeful. It's been awhile since I've felt this way. I think rehab will help me emotionally and physically, and I might even like early morning workouts again. :)


Ok let's do this!
Thanks Orlando Health Heart Institute!
I did it! One session down!

No comments:

Post a Comment