Sunday, February 19, 2012

For Kathleen

Today my dear friend and running buddy Kathleen ran the A1A Fort Lauderdale Marathon. I adore Kathleen for so many reasons. She is successful, smart, hilarious and compassionate. She's also a lung cancer survivor. The weather was hot, the course was rough, but she made it. SHE MADE IT. She is a lung cancer survivor AND marathoner. Did I mention she finished the race?! Did I mention she's a survivor?! Hope that sinks in for you like it did for me.

The trip back consisted of a Choco Taco (yum) and a lot of reflection. I have felt very lost lately, fumbling for meaning and footing. I have felt like the world is continuing to whirl around me and I can't get back on the merry-go-round. It's been frustrating to say the least. I started running a year ago, and now I feel like I've lost everything I've worked so hard to accomplish.

But, all is not lost after an illness as evidenced by today. I am lucky to have so many years ahead of me to make a change and live life to the fullest. As Lance Armstrong once said, "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Kathleen hasn't quit, so I won't either. ♥
She did it!

Serious BLING!
Amanda helped run them in! 
Max enjoying the beach. I think he thinks this blog is about him.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Sarah! It may not always be easy, but I have faith in you, and we will "run you in" as many times as you need us! (And I'm not really so special, more like lucky and crazy.)

    ReplyDelete